Hickman Coleman Insurance Company- Coolot Company- Comstock Building

Home  /  Leonard Starks  /  Current Page
×Details

812 J Street
Sacramento, CA 95814
Get Directions →

The Coolot Company Building in Sacramento, California was a building constructed originally in 1861. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1978.

The building was built by Leland Stanford and he used one of the rooms as his office. It was also a part of the underground tunnel system as a part of the raised level of buildings in Sacramento.

In 1928 Starks and Flanders were hired by the Hickman Coleman Insurance Company to remodel the building having recently moved from 724 J Street to the Coolot at 812 J Street.
It was during the Starks & Flanders remodel that the Arts and Crafts tile was added to the front facade.

By the late 1950’s the building housed the Bank of Sacramento.

Replete with 25 office suites in the early 1990s, the edifice was still in use while neighboring buildings had all been demolished. After this point, the building itself was the subject of many fires during its years of vacancy. While plans were considered to incorporate the facade of the old building with new construction planned at its site, one last fire seriously damaged it in 2003 and it was subsequently demolished.

Portions of this blog are from the Coolots N.R.H.P. report.
Pictures courtesy of Sacramento Center for History and the Sacramento Public Library.

+Gallery
+Related
+Meta

Posted: January 6, 1928

Author:

Category: Leonard Starks

Tags: , ,

+Comments

Leave a Reply