Clunie Community Center

Home  /  Leonard Starks  /  Current Page
×Details

601 Alhambra Boulevard
Sacramento, CA 95816
Get Directions →

The Clunie Community Center, designed by Sacramento-based architect Harry Devine, in association with the architectural firm of Stark and Flanders was built in 1936. On the pool’s opening day, in August of the same year, 2,500 visitors were expected and 4,500 showed up to see a beauty contest and an exhibition of “fancy and comic diving.” The facility was financed by a 150,000 dollar bequeathal from Florence Turton Clunie and bears her name.

The main building houses the McKinley Library in the North and the South wings while the upper stories house the main hall with rooms available to the community for rent. The facility also includes a pool and clubhouse.

When the City of Sacramento proposed in 2011 to close the Clunie community center, the Friends of East Sacramento stepped forward with a proposal to manage the building.

 

 

+Gallery
+Related
+Meta

Posted: October 9, 1936

Author:

Category: Leonard Starks

Tags: , , ,

+Comments

Leave a Reply