Bank of America- Oak Park Alterations

Home  /  Leonard Starks  /  Current Page
×Details

3418 Broadway
Sacramento CA 95817
Get Directions →

The Sacramento Bank building was built in 1914 as a commercial bank in the Oak Park area of Sacramento. At the time of its opening the Oak Park suburb was one of Sacramento’s most prominent neighborhoods. The bank was originally seen as a beacon of the areas thriving business community. It is a one story, triangular shaped building, constructed in the Neo-Classical style by architects James Seadler and Gideon Holt. Neo-classicism was popular at the time, a symbol of strength and stability as well as a marker of resurgence of classical ideas and interests. The bank was constructed with reinforced concrete frame and the exterior of cement plaster. The arched doorway has a series of medallions which mark the founding of the Sacramento Bank in 1867 and the opening of this branch in 1914. Many major modifications have occurred to this building over the years, most notably the loss of the large copper dome in 1947 (these alterations were done by Leonard Starks). Also at this time the interior was completely stripped of the original detailing in favor of modern decorations. Despite the alterations the building retains a level of classical detail and stands today as the only example of neo-classical architecture in Sacramento.

The building is currently a US Bank branch.

+Gallery
+Related
+Meta

Posted: September 23, 1947

Author:

Category: Leonard Starks

Tags: , ,

+Comments

Leave a Reply